- GAMEDAY 4/22: Game 3 – Flyers vs. Rangers, 8pmPosted 1 day ago
- Mason Remains Out, Emery to Start Game 3Posted 2 days ago
- Game Day: 4/20/14, Can the Flyers rise up today against the Rangers?Posted 4 days ago
- Flyers-Rangers Game 1: Flyers Drop First Meeting, Lose 4-1Posted 6 days ago
- Mason Out for Game 1Posted 1 week ago
- Flyers Sign Frozen Four MVP GostisbeherePosted 1 week ago
- Report: Flyers Resign MacDonaldPosted 1 week ago
- No Need For Culture Change, Holmgren Is Man For JobPosted 1 week ago
- Steve Mason has a ConcussionPosted 1 week ago
- #LetsFly: Round 1 Schedule vs. NYR ReleasedPosted 1 week ago
McNabb’s Nephew Top OHL Defenseman
- Updated: March 4, 2013
Darnell Nurse, the nephew of former Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, is making a name for himself. However, not in the same industry as his uncle.
The 6-foot-4, 192 pound defenseman currently plays for the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). This is the same team that Philadelphia Flyers’ top prospect Nick Cousins plays for.
Nurse, 18, will be eligible for the upcoming NHL draft, and has been catching the attention of many scouts. He is the top-ranked defenseman on Central Scouting’s preliminary list of skaters in the OHL. Nurse is the No. 2-rated skater in the league, just behind top prospect Sean Monahan of the Ottawa 67′s.
NHL Central Scouting’s Chris Edwards has compared Darnell Nurse to Chris Pronger because of his big size, ability to skate well, and his physical play. He is said to not be afraid to drop the gloves if need be.
Nurse told NHL.com how big of a role that his uncle has played in his life. “My uncle has always been there for me. No matter if I had a question about being away from home for the first time, or working out in the summer.”
“He’s been someone I’ve always been able to reach out to …. He’s a big person in my life,” he said about Donovan McNabb.
Scouting reports say that Nurse is a player who is not going to make mistakes. He is steady and solid and a player that is hard to play against. He also has taken on the responsibilities of leadership, as he is currently an assistant captain for the Greyhounds.
Darnell Nurse sounds like a player that could be on the radar of Flyers scouts. The team, in dire need of a solid defenseman, could use someone like Nurse. He seems to be used to the colors as well, having played for the Don Mills Flyers Midget AAA team in the past.
Whichever team is able to draft this young and upcoming defenseman will surely be making good use of their pick. Nurse seems to have a very bright future ahead of him and has potential to be a very good player in this league. Darnell Nurse will surely be a player to watch for in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
Follow Andrew Dintino (@ADintino_TOU) on Twitter