- Brodeur, Devils hang on to beat FlyersPosted 17 hours ago
- Throwback Thursday: (2010) Giroux plays keep away with BruinsPosted 6 days ago
- Giroux Leads Flyers Over Capitals, 6-4Posted 7 days ago
- Flyers Deadline Day: Reaction, Analysis, Assumptions and ConjecturePosted 7 days ago
- Flyers expand its defense before trade deadlinePosted 1 week ago
- Report: Flyers “Top Challenger” for KeslerPosted 1 week ago
- Flyers clobbered in return, lose 7-3Posted 2 weeks ago
- GAMEDAY 2/27: Flyers vs. Sharks, 7pmPosted 2 weeks ago
- Throwback Thursday: Flyers win big in return from Olympics (2010)Posted 2 weeks ago
- Throwback Thursday: Michal Handzus Overtime Penalty Shot GoalPosted 4 weeks ago
Simon Gagne Returns Home
- Updated: February 26, 2013
Flyers have acquired Simon Gagne from the LA Kings for a conditional 4th round pick.
Gagne, 32, is returning to the Flyers after 2 plus seasons away from Philadelphia. In July of 2010 Gagne was dealt to the Tampa Lightning for Matt Walker in a salary cap dump move. In 2010-2011 Gagne scored 17 goals and 40 points for the Lightning who went to and lost game 7 of the Eastern Conference Final.
One season later Gagne won a Stanley Cup with former Flyers Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, and Justin Williams in Los Angeles as a member of the Kings.
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren had this to say “Simon is an experienced veteran who will help us in a lot of areas. We are glad to have him back.”
Renaud Lavoie of RDS talked to Gagne today “I’m happy to get that chance. It was tough not to play. I’m going to a place I know well, its like going back home. I know everybody there and I’m going back where it all started.”
We don’t know how much Simon has left in the tank but he could certainly help out as a depth forward and grab some power play time.
In 10 seasons with the Flyers, Gagne racked up 259 goals and 524 points. He’s been a healthy scratch for much of the season with the Kings playing in just 11 games with only 5 points, all assists.
The move temporarily put the Flyers over the cap but Sarah Baicker of CSNPhilly reported that Jody Shelley was placed on Long Term Injured Reserve and that Chris Pronger would “eventually” go on LTIR as well.
Gagne will wear #12 as Harry “Z” is switching to #37 to continue his theme of wearing past Flyers’ greats numbers. Maybe he thinks it’s good karma if so Eric Desjardins will come back next.
Break out those old Gagne jerseys and tee shirts our boy is back!