- Brodeur, Devils hang on to beat FlyersPosted 7 hours ago
- Throwback Thursday: (2010) Giroux plays keep away with BruinsPosted 6 days ago
- Giroux Leads Flyers Over Capitals, 6-4Posted 6 days ago
- Flyers Deadline Day: Reaction, Analysis, Assumptions and ConjecturePosted 6 days ago
- Flyers expand its defense before trade deadlinePosted 1 week ago
- Report: Flyers “Top Challenger” for KeslerPosted 1 week ago
- Flyers clobbered in return, lose 7-3Posted 2 weeks ago
- GAMEDAY 2/27: Flyers vs. Sharks, 7pmPosted 2 weeks ago
- Throwback Thursday: Flyers win big in return from Olympics (2010)Posted 2 weeks ago
- Throwback Thursday: Michal Handzus Overtime Penalty Shot GoalPosted 4 weeks ago
Voracek Signs for 4 More Years
- Updated: July 26, 2012
Today the Flyers have re-signed restricted free agent forward Jakub Voracek to a 4 year $17 million dollar contract.
Voracek who was acquired in the trade that sent Jeff Carter to Columbus in 2011, scored a career high 18 goals last season for the Flyers. Speculation is that Jake will play heavy minutes on the top scoring line with Claude Giroux and Scott Hartnell.
Voracek’s biggest goal, of course, last season was his overtime tally in game 1 of the Quarter-Finals against the Pittsburgh Penguins, a game in which the Flyers stormed back from 3 goals down. He is expected to replace the since departed Jaromir Jagr’s (Dallas Stars) production. The knock on Voracek is his ability to finish, his shooting percentage for his career is at 9.1% (9.5% in 11-12) and he took 190 shots a season ago. Ideally you would like to see both of those numbers rise and we could be talking about 25 goal scorer added to a line that features Giroux (28 goals) and Hartnell (37 goals).
After GM Paul Holmgren repeatedly said a deal would eventually be completed with Voracek, a deal was finally completed with Voracek today. But you can’t help but think that the delay had to be tied into what happened with Shea Weber.
The Flyers now have around $3.5 million in cap space not including the Chris Pronger LTIR space. Marc-Andre Bourdon (RFA) is the only remaining player unsigned for the Flyers.
How many points do you think Voracek will score this season playing with Claude Giroux and Scott Hartnell?
Stay current with the Flyers by following @TheOrangeUpdate on Twitter. Also follow contributors @215Cash, @feelgoodfrank, and @EbbonDerr.